Our team has chosen beautiful coastal walks and comfortable accommodation to give you the best possible holiday. While you hike through forests and maquis shrublands, you will have several opportunities to swim in the crystal-clear waters of the island’s natural pools. With this Mare e Monti trip, you will have all the right ingredients to guarantee an unforgettable holiday!
Your day by day program
Meet in Calvi in the morning. Transport options to get to Calvi: the airport, the port and the train.
Transfer to Calenzana, otherwise known as the land of olive trees. You will start your walking tour from Bonifatu.
During this first stage, you will cross beautiful rivers and get magnificent views over the traditional Corsican Balagne region.
Walking: approximately 4h05.
Height gain: +800m.
Height loss: -540m.
After breakfast, you will leave Bonifatu and hike through mystical oak and pine tree forests. You will climb uphill to a mountain pass and then walk back down into the forest and cross other little streams. Once you arrive in Tuarelli, you will be able to enjoy swimming in the peaceful waters of the area's natural pools.
Walking: 7 h 30.
Height gain: +1100m.
Height loss: -1400m.
Today's hike will take you to the Gulf of Galeria and its sublime coastline. You will walk through farmlands and agricultural areas, delimited by stone walls, and plunge into the fragrant and famous Corsican scrubland. You will also come across juniper and strawberry trees and walk alongside a river before reaching old shepherds' huts and then Galéria. Once there, you will be able to have a relaxing swim at the beach, in the evening.
Height gain: +500m.
Height loss: -600m.
Today’s stage will take you to the heart of the Scandola Natural Reserve, a site which has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The beautiful coves, turquoise waters and the differently shaped rock formations will offer you truly unique landscapes.
As for Girolata, it is an enchanting little fishing village only accessible on foot or by boat, and a heavenly place for hikers. There, you will be able to go for a swim in majestic coves and enjoy eating freshly caught fish for dinner, in a restaurant next to the beach.
Walking: 5 hours.
Height gain: +900m.
Height loss: -900m.
As you walk along a coastline path called the ‘sentier des douaniers’, you will come across several crests, which will offer you great panoramic views over the rest of the island. You will finally arrive in Curzu, where you will spend the night.
Height gain: +1300m.
Height loss: -1200m.
An alternative and easier walk is also available for this particular stage. Duration: approximately 5 hours.
Your journey will take you to the turquoise waters of the Gulf of Porto. You will cross a river and discover the now desolate village of Pinetu. You will also be able to discover the beach of Bussaglia, which has often been described as the most beautiful beach in the Gulf of Porto. Finally, you will end today’s walk by stopping in Porto's famous port for the night.
Dinner at your own expense. Night in a hotel.
Height gain: +565m.
Height loss: -878m.
End of trip after breakfast.
Every day from the beginning of April to the end of October.
- In gîtes (shared bedrooms). Last night in a hotel in Porto. Do not forget your sleeping bag. Possibility of choosing 3 nights in double or twin bedrooms (see our other trip MARE E MONTI NORTH - 7 DAYS COMFORTABLE VERSION).
- From 2.
- You will need to be in good physical condition and used to walking. This Corsican trail uses very well marked paths. Walking: 4 to 6 hours a day.
- Your main bag will be transferred by vehicle except in Girolata. Otherwise, you will only need to take you day bag with you (for picnics, water, cameras etc.).
- Trip without luggage transfers : -260€
- IGN maps : 30€
- 4 nights in double room : 140€
- All nights in gîtes, 5 evening meals, 6 breakfasts, luggage transfers except in Girolata, detailed route notes and maps.
- Transfers to the meeting point and from the ending point, insurances, visits of tourist sites, luggage transfers to Girolata, transfers which are not included in the tour, optional activities which are not included in the tour, picnic lunches (easy to find).