Our team has chosen beautiful coastal walks and comfortable accommodation to give you the best possible holiday. While you hike through forests and maquis shrublands, you will have several opportunities to swim in the crystal-clear waters of the island’s natural pools. With this Mare e Monti trip, you will have all the right ingredients to guarantee an unforgettable holiday!
Your day by day program
Meet in Calvi in the morning (extra nights available in Calvi pre trek). Transfer to Calenzana, a delightful and vibrant village at the start of the Mare e Monti and GR 20 trails. During this first stage, you will cross beautiful rivers and have magnificent views over the Balagne region. Night in the Auberge in the heart of Bonifatu forest.
Walking: approximately 4h05.
Height gain: +800m.
Height loss: -540m.
From the Bonifatu forest, the rout climbs up to the Bocca Bonassa pass to descend into the Fango valley. From a mountainous environment, we gradually move into the Mediterranean zone. Transfer from Tuarelli after the hike and overnight in Galeria.
Walking time approx. 7h30
Difference in altitude: +1100 m; -1400 m
Today’s stage will take you past the Scandola Natural Reserve, a site which has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The beautiful coves, turquoise waters and the volcanic red rock formations will offer you truly unique landscapes.
As for Girolata, it is an enchanting little village only accessible on foot or by boat, and a heavenly place for hikers once the day tourists have left. There, you will be able to go for a swim in majestic coves and enjoy eating freshly caught fish for dinner, in a restaurant next to the beach.
Walking: 5 hours.
Height gain: +900m.
Height loss: -900m.
As you walk along a coastline path called the ‘sentier du Facteur Guy’, you will be blown away by magnificent panoramic views sea, the path climbs to Col de la Croix before arriving in the village of Curzu, where you will spend the night.
Height gain: +1300m.
Height loss: -1200m.
An alternative and easier walk is also available for this particular stage. Duration: approximately 5 hours.
Your journey will take you to the turquoise waters of the Gulf of Porto. You will cross a river and discover the now desolate village of Pinetu. You will also be able to discover the beach of Bussaglia, which has often been described as the most beautiful beach in the Gulf of Porto. Finally, you will end today’s walk by stopping in Porto's famous port for the night.
Dinner at your own expense. Night in a hotel.
Height gain: +565m.
Height loss: -878m.
End of trip after breakfast.
Every day from the beginning of April to the end of October.
- 3 nights in stopover gîtes (shared dormitories).
2 nights in a hotel (double room).
- From 2.
- You will need to be in good physical condition and used to walking. This Corsican trail uses very well marked paths. Walking: 4 to 6 hours a day.
- Your main bag will be transferred by vehicle except in Girolata. Otherwise, you will only need to take you day bag with you (for picnics, water, cameras etc.).
- Accommodation in hotels and gîtes
- Dinners (4), except in Porto
- Private transfer from Calvi to Calenzana and from Tuarelli to Galeria
- Luggage transfer (except for the stage at Girolata)
- Topographical guide, hiking maps on our application (a smartphone is required)
- Telephone assistance
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- Dinner in Porto
- Transfers not included in the programme
- Luggage transfer in Girolata